No Shave November, What is it?
You have heard the hype. You have even used it as an excuse to not shave in November …both males and females. But do you know why?
Cancer. Specifically, prostate cancer and testicular cancer. There is a formidable charity organization behind the more-than-normal hairiness in November and it is for a great cause. The whole story can be found at this website: https://us.movember.com/about/foundation?gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WROaEqtIYQPxpTIW81eeNxjm-DH3IFzq98971AJU8GpBhahdRMXYioaAg47EALw_wcB
Since 2003 Movember has funded more than 1,250 men’s health projects around the world, challenging the status quo, shaking up men’s health research and transforming the way health services reach and support men. Men have historically been the type of creature that avoids the doctor until there is a critical issue or there is no other way to not go see the doctor. Usually that is at the unyielding force of a significant other who loves the man more than the man loves himself, so the man goes to see the doctor. You know the type I speak of, you could be the type I speak of or maybe you have dealt with the type I speak of.
Any other species acknowledges when they are ailing and need assistance to get by but not men. Men need a bit more help on occasion, especially when dealing with health, medical issues and physiology and such. Movember exists to help men live happier, healthier, longer lives – this is what drives every single one of our 1,250 men’s health projects. Check out the website above and see what the specifics are for those projects and how you can help to further the cause to try and keep men healthier.
From humble beginnings in Australia in 2003, the Movember movement has grown to be a truly global one, inspiring support from over 5 million Mo Bros and Mo Sisters around the world. You are not alone on this road as it has established a large foothold, is growing and making a difference in lives around the world. Movember’s success can largely be attributed to the strength of the global community. Regardless of the city in which we live, we’re part of something bigger, united by a commitment to help change the face of men’s health.
November is about not shaving for men’s health. Get on board and make a difference. Change begins at home and happens one person at a time.
Across the world, men die an average six years younger than women, and for reasons that are largely preventable. Which means that it doesn’t have to be that way: we can all take action to live healthier, happier and longer lives.
HOW? HERE ARE Movember’s TOP FIVE THINGS TO KNOW, AND DO.
- Spend time with people who make you feel good. Stay connected. Your friends are important and spending time with them is good for you. Catch up regularly, check in and make time.
- Talk, more. You don’t need to be an expert and you don’t have to be the sole solution, but being there for someone, listening and giving your time can be life-saving. 70% of men say their friends can rely on them for support, but only 48% say that they rely on their friends. In other words: we’re here for our friends, but worried about asking for help for ourselves. Reaching out is crucial. We need to talk. We need to listen.
- Know the numbers. At 50, talk to your doctor about prostate cancer and whether it’s right for you to have a PSA test. If you are African American or have a father or brother with prostate cancer, you should be having this conversation at 45. Know your numbers, know your risk, talk to your doctor. Learn more about prostate cancer.
- Know thy nuts. Simple. Get to know what’s normal for your testicles. Give them a check regularly and go to the doctor if something doesn’t feel right. Learn more about testicular cancer.
- Move, more. Add more activity to your day. Do more of what makes you feel good. Take a walking meeting. Park further away from the station. Get off the bus a stop or two earlier. Instead of the elevator, take the stairs. Cycle to work instead of driving.
Enjoy your ride in No Shave November for men’s health!
Superior Toxicology & Wellness can provide expertise in evaluating personal drug profiles and making recommendations for changes to improve your quality of life. The excellent value of Superior Toxicology & Wellness products is complemented by our extremely quick turnaround and first class customer service.
Drop us a line through the contact form with any questions or comments.
Dr. Joe Nieusma and the Superior Toxicology & Wellness Team